Beautiful


There are certain things that are breathtaking simply because you disbelieve in their very existence by the fact that they are indeed so rare (a foolish lunatic like myself do believe in so many things). I was rendered speechless by a friend yesterday over dinner. And I feel like to have him share something like this with me, so frankly even, was something I really needed. Perhaps this was a powerful answer (among many that I have come to know) to questions I have been asking and simultaneously avoiding in a recently self-destructive mode of life.
He told me that for the first time in his life, he felt like he was in love. He thinks that woman he’s with might be “the one.” The one he might spend the rest of his life with.
Yeah, immediately the cynical red flags come up and alarms start going off. At this age? This soon? Does he really know what it means to love? Is this one-sided?
Listening to him, I felt envious. I desperately want what he has ultimately found: stability in love.
He found somebody genuinely capable of empowering his life and validating everything that he ever felt important to him. And the beautiful part is that it is wonderfully reciprocated with this indescribable ease. His faith, a trust that only grows over time, doesn’t come around very often for most people. Someone who can evoke this possibility of long-term commitment and a redefinition of what it means to love oneself and another person… it feels surreal to even write about it. And it’s a strange to think that I  had exactly experience this in my own life, but apparently it was only "one-sided" (that at least the thought I had left) It’s almost silly to just want it so intensely.
What he tells me in quickened breaths is something absolutely sacred. He might never love another person.