The Kids

I grew up in a city where children begged. Where their clothes were riddle with holes and their feet were bare and bleeding. That world is still out there. It's the kind of world that most people I know would never see. But it is those eyes and those reaching hands that come out in the dark and touch me. There are many moments in my life where I feel stretched to do something for them. I have often wanted to just give my lunch-box, my clothes, everything that I had so that they could sleep easy for just that one day. I realize now that the poverty itself is a very fundamental thing in any city, any place. There are so many people who are poor for something. Not just money. There are more than just money that makes someone happy. It could be something as small as a found butterfly wing. A smooth rock. And the more I thought about it, the more I understood that I have certain things that other people may never have. Maybe they have the small something that I have been searching for all my life.